Saturday, September 12, 2009

Once

One fine day, I believe it was a Saturday morning, I was working alone in our bengkel in Kampung Semarak. Kg Semarak at that time was still out of the way of developement.

It was a quiet morning, I had already had my breakfast and already "khatam" the newspaper. Everything was nice and quiet. Suddenly I heard a scream but it sounds like it came from some distant away from me. At first I ignore it but then the wailing came again, I rushed out to see what had happened.

I saw a lady sitting on the road pavement, a few people were already rushing to her aid. I ran too. As I neared her, I saw her clutching a baby, blood oozing out the ear. I glance across the road, a man was sitting there, his face distorted, his jaws cut through, but still alive. There were already people gathering. I assess the situation, trying to make out what happened.

A chinese man was talking to some people I know. I heard that the motorcyclist was hit by an oncoming car. The chinese man told that, he slowed down at the road bump but a car from behind overtook him and went flying over the bump and thats where it hit the couple on the motorcycle. It seems the driver was not familiar with the road, hence he tried to overtake at the bump when the car in front slowed down. The rider had crashed into the car. What happened to the pillion and baby I didn't know.

Then I saw the culprit, standing with an older woman in a sari.I quickly went to him. I was thinking of apprehending him or something and keeping him till the police arrive. When I neared him, he suddenly collapsed! Just a minute ago he was standing but he suddenly collapse and the elderly lady came over in front of him and was sort of trying to prevent something. It never cross my mind to do anything but only to hold him till the police arrive. Well he was lucky it was me that reach him first, were it to be somebody else from the kampung........ Then I turn my attention away from the driver and gave instructions to those gathering to help. When I turn around, the driver was gone.

A few minutes later I saw the driver walking with a group of men. They were shielding him. My friend volunteered to send the injured couple to the hospital, seeing that no ambulance had come, along with the chinese driver. The culprit got away. My friend who was suppose to make a police report was told it that he can't make it becaues he was a witness, not the victim. And I supposed the culprit got away scot free.

The next day, I heard that the couple were married for years and only recently were they gifted a baby. No wonder I could hear her wailing from inside my bengkel 50 yards away.

1 comment:

darah59 said...

SELAMAT HARI RAYA..MAAF ZAHIR BATIN DUDE..